Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat takes methimazol but I gave him my levothyroxine

My cat takes methimazol...

My cat takes methimazol but I gave him my levothyroxine (30mgs) by mistake!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?

I've been trying to induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide (teaspoonful)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

I gave him human levothyroxine 30mg instead of his methimazole

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?

Similar bottles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He's Herman and 17

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about the mixup in medications. How long ago did this happen?

Do you mean 30 mcg, not 30 mg? Most people take less than 1 mg of levothyroxine, and take micrograms (mcg) not millgrams (mg).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's levothyroxine and liothyronine blend at 30mgs.
About an hour ago

30 mg is a gigantic dose for a person, unless this is a natural thyroid product.

If the cat really got 30 mg not 30 mcg, I would take her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting (but at an hour it might be too late) and to give activated charcoal to absorb it and prevent it being absorbed into his body.

There is nothing you have at home to safely and effectively get a cat to vomit. Peroxide can burn the mouth, throat, and stomach lining in cats.

I looked up levothyroxine and liothyronine blend and it it 30 mcg, not mg. 25 mcg levothyroxine and 5 mg liothyronine.

This dose may not affect him much, but you could see vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read the full print on the botyle:
19mcg of levothyroxine
4.5 mgs of liothyronine

Yes, mcg of levothyroxine, not mg. 30 mg of levothyroxine would be a huge dose; 1 mg is 1000 mcg.

So at this dose, you may see vomiting, diarrhea, and hyperactivity, but you may not see anything at all. If you want to be safe you can take him to a veterinarian for inducing vomiting and monitoring. Or, I would monitor him. If he becomes overly agitated or vomits too much, take him to a veterinarian.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

How is he doing now? If you want to get him to vomit, the sooner the better since it is already an hour.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You are welcome! Thanks for the great rating!

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian