Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat had been super itchy around his neck with thinning…

My cat had been...

My cat had been super itchy around his neck with thinning hair for >6 weeks. We’ve been to the vet- no fleas, labs are normal, he doesn’t have environmental allergies (per blood test),had 2 steroid shots, elimination diet with f**k and potato x 5 weeks. He’s back at ripping up his neck again. He’s also had a skin scrapping and several baths and been treated with revolution every month. I’m feeling horrible for him. My vet seems to be out of ideas. Don’t know what to do for him next??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Otis.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Otis?

He’s 8 years old and 9 lbs

3/25/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

Is he on any other medication?

No other medications at this time.

The most common reason for this type of skin problem in cats is allergy related. These are:

1. Fleas - you have been treating these well

2. food allergy - you are on a special diet

3. an allergy from something in the environment - this can be very hard to diagnose and control!

Your vet (and you!) has done all the right things.

For these cases that don't seem to respond they need to go on medication called prednisolone whenever it flares up to get it back under control. This is available as a tablet, liquid and sometimes and injection (last resort). I would be talking to your vet about this.

Yeah. We’re in communication. He is going to start the prednisolone as soon as I can get to the office Monday. I just feel like we’re all stumped as to what he could be allergic to. Our next avenue to explore is stress/anxiety. But he’s so itchy that it leads me to believe that he’s allergic to something. Just can’t seem to figure out to what! When I pet his neck he’s in heaven. Soothing his poor itches. I’m just frustrated and feel bad for the little dude. Exhausting all options I guess. He’s my world, and I want him to feel better. :(

I understand - it can be very frustrating.

Going on the prednisolone and you should see an 'instant' improvment. If that is the case then it is not behavioral.

Most of these cases I see are usually number 3). above unfortunately.

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian