Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He went to the vet a few days ago after swallowing some

He went to the...

He went to the vet a few days ago after swallowing some detergent. He was placed on meds. He seemed to be doing find and tonight he went to the bathroom on the floor. the stool was yellow.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the swallow will be able to digest that. What is the swallow's name and age?

Luca and he is 7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luca?

No he's typically been healthy.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Does he have diarrhea?

2- What medication is he on?

3- Any other symptoms?

OK thanks
1- Does he have diarrhea? 2- What medication is he on? 3- Any other symptoms?
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Luca's stool was yellow after being on medication for swallowing detergent. I am sorry to hear about what happened. Was the stool normal in consistency or was it soft / diarrhea? Do you happen to know the name of the medication that you were giving him?

1 - Yes, but he only went once...it's more of loose stool. He didn't make it to his litter box.
2 - Clavamox, Sucralfate, Pantoprazole
3 - No other symptoms. His condition has improved significantly from his visit

Thank you for that information. Yellow stool is caused by intestinal motility changes or inflammation. The loose stool indicates there is inflammation in the intestine. This could be from the detergent or from the Clavamox. The yellow color is not a problem, but the looseness of the stool could result in dehydration, so that should be watched closely. A good over-the-counter remedy to absorb toxins in the intestine is kaopectate. You can give that to help with the loose stool.

You will also want to monitor for dehydration. There are 2 ways to do this. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds.

Does that help to answer your question?

How much Kaopectate can I give him?

You can give 1-2 teaspoons (i.e. 5-10 milliliters) every 4-6 hours.

Does that help?

thank you. If he is dehydrated, what do I do?

If he is dehydrated, or if the loose stool does not start to improve within 72 hours, then that is the time to see your veterinarian.

Ok thank you. His gums are pink and seem to be okay. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Thank you!

You are welcome.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Hi Scott, I gave him the kaopectate late night and he seemed okay. He is having coughing fits every few hours and he just threw up or dedicated brown liquid. I can't tell because he ran off...
Hi Scott, I gave him the kaopectate late night and he seemed okay. He is having coughing fits every few hours and he just threw up or dedicated brown liquid. I can't tell because he ran off..
Hi Scott, I gave him the kaopectate late night and he seemed okay. He is having coughing fits every few hours and he just threw up or dedicated brown liquid. I can't tell because he ran off.