Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a fairly cat probably a year or so old. About one and…

I have a fairly young...
I have a fairly young cat probably a year or so old. About one and a half to two months ago he developed respiratory distress. We took him to the vet and they did an x-ray that showed fluid in both lungs. Both that and his partner, felt that he probably had FIP and wanted to EU him. I was not there at the time and ask to have a little more time with him. they drew fluid from both lungs and sent him home on veraflox and prednisolone. He got quite a bit better. no further distress. He is eating and is not exactly real active, but I noticed a few days back that he had some loose stool kind of brownish with a hint of yellow to it. Tonight I saw him in the litter box and it looked like it was tan and watery with possibly some pink tinge to it. I wasn't able to get a better look before he covered it up. I'm not sure if it's related to possible FIP that is deteriorating or something else like possibly colitis
3/25/2018
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Thompson, a vet since 2000. I'm sorry to hear your cat is having trouble. I understand he had fluid in his chest that was removed by a vet a month or two ago. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I was not there so did not see the X-ray but was told by the person who took him there from the rescue, that both that vet and his partner felt he had FIP and took quite a bit of fluid off of both lungs. He did quite well after that. And has not developed any other respiratory distress so far. he started having loose stool maybe five or six days ago that I saw one time. As I said I'm not sure if this is something related to FIP or something different. The stool was loose rather watery Tan in color from what I could see with some pink in it as well. The lighting was not good and he covered it up before I could really get a good look

FIP can certainly cause all sorts of symptoms, including diarrhea. Sadly, as you probably know, FIP has not real treatment or cure that we know of. I would also be concerned the diarrhea could be related to his previous illness.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Unfortunately I have had several cats that were Fosters that died from FIP. However I did not really think FIPcaused fluid to build up in the lungs as much as in the stomach, causing the respiratory distress. I have had vets remove a small amount of fluid from the abdomen to verify that it was fip. I'm just not sure if this is something I need to talk to the rescue about as he has not been officially removed from the rescue but they will not adopt him out to anyone. I was taking him as a compassionate or hospice cat I guess.

You are a good soul for trying to help him. FIP can cause fluid to build up in the chest, although the classical presentation is fluid in the abdomen. I would notify the rescue about his symptoms, perhaps they will pay for testing to confirm or rule out FIP.

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I just wasn't sure if the diarrhea was related to the probable diagnosis of fip or possibly something else

It's possible it could be related to something else, and after all, we don't know for sure if he has FIP. Thank you for your compassion for this sick kitty.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I know we don't know if he has FIP. I had hoped since he responded well to the prednisolone and veraflox that maybe they were wrong. But he is pretty experiences vet especially with cats. And has worked with TNR and shelter animals. So he is probably right. It's always hard to lose them

You're right, it's always hard, but especially when they're so young :(

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian