Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has lost weight in the past 5-6 months. Yet he tries…

My cat has lost...

My cat has lost weight in the past 5-6 months. Yet he tries to eat everything he can get a hold of. Has never eaten or begged for people food now he gets into anything that smells like food. Takes food off a plate if we turn our back on it. What could be going on with him..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

.gizmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He’s 12 years old. Plays with toys, does not seem in any pain.

3/24/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Gizmo.

One of the most common reason for an older cat to lose weight but act more hungry than usual is a condition called hyperthyroidism.

It can be diagnosed by a blood test, and is treated with special diet and medication, or else radioactive iodine therapy.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I was wondering about diabetes but he doesn’t seem to be drinking excess amount of water
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I’m at work so can’t answer phone now

Diabetic cats are usually drinking a lot more water than normal. It is a possibility, but hyperthyroidism is also a possible explanation.

I can't make calls for the website; that offer did not come from me.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok thank you so much for your quick response. I will look into this. Kathy

You are welcome. Please let me know what you find out, and if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian