Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a feral ckat who will not allow me to pick her up. I…

I have a feral...

I have a feral ckat who will not allow me to pick her up. I am moving in three days and need to get her into a carrier. That will be a nigtmare. What can I use to safely sedate her? The move is only 30 minutes away. I have Zolpide 10 mg. and Lorazepam .05 mg. I think that the Zolpide is the one the vet gave me. Thank you!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Oops. Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, my cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your Cat?

She is a feral. I am moving in two days and she will not let me pick her up. I need to get her into the crate for our 30minute move. The vet gave me Zolpide 10mg. but I looked it up and am worried. Is this a good sedation drug for her? I will have to put it in her food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Cat?

No . Just that she is fearful though she loves me to pet her.

3/24/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Zolpidem is toxic to our pets and must be avoided. Lorazepam has been safely given to cats for fears, anxieties, phobias, and night waking at doses of 1/4 or 1/2 of a 0.5 mg tablet (0.125 - 0.25 mg) per cat. The tablets are relatively tasteless and so can be powdered up and mixed into a small amount of tasty wet food. You might "test" its affect before trying to get her into a carrier. In my experience, you'll need a true tranquilizer such as acepromazine prescribed by a vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
That was very helpful. Thank you. I am surprised that my vet, Dr.. Gerry at Orinda Vet did not prescribe the preferred medication. Can I get a prescription for that from you?
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

You're quite welcome. Regretfully, we're not allowed to prescribe through this venue. Technically, Dr. Gerry would need to have seen this cat to be able to prescribe a prescription drug but we do have leeway when it comes to ferals who simply can't be brought in to a vet hospital without being trapped first. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Hi Gail,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?