Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just came home, and my Himalayan cat is sneezing, and he…

I just came home...

I just came home, and my Himalayan cat is sneezing, and he vomitted. His eyes are also watery. Could he be getting a cold?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No. I don't believe so.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Mico and one year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mico?

One year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mico?

Not really. I just rescued him about two weeks ago.

3/24/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you noticed any discharge from the nose or the eyes? Is Mico up to date on vaccines ?

I noticed that his eyes seem rather watery. He is up to date on his shots.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is he acting fine otherwise? Yes sneezing could indicate an early sign of a cold. Does he go outside at all? If it is a cold over time you may notice that the sneezing will become more frequent and you will start to see yellow discharge from the eyes and the nose. If that is the case then he will need to be placed on an antibiotic to help with it. Sometimes cats can start sneezing if they have some allergy or sensitivity to something in the environment . This can be common with cats who are introduced to a new environment as well.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
No, he's not acting like himself at all. I put in a request to talk over the phone. I'm unsure as to whether or not I should take him to an emergency veterinary clinic.
Phone call session started