Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My kitten was spayed this past Tuesday and slowly

My kitten was spayed...

My kitten was spayed this past Tuesday and slowly discouraged of eating. She has eaten one meal yesterday and one meal today but isn’t showing interest. And she vomited once today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?

Molly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

She’s been a regular eater. 2 meals a day and a small meal around lunch

3/24/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I'm so sorry to hear about Molly. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
it is possible that the stress associated with anesthesia as well as surgery has caused her to be out of her normal routine.There are a couple of things that you can try at home before taking her into your veterinarian. If you are able and feel comfortable pilling her you can try to give her 2.5 mg of Pepcid AC every 12 to 24 hours. This is an acid reducer that can also help to calm the stomach and May allow her to feel good enough to eat again. It comes in 10 mg tablet so you can give a fourth of a tablet. You can also try offering something different and more palatable such as chicken Gerber baby food or a small amount of low sodium chicken broth with her regular food. If the vomiting persists then I would certainly call your veterinarian to follow up and potentially get an anti nausea injection for her or some medication to prevent vomiting. They should also be able to prescribe an appetite stimulant if needed just for the short-term while she is healing.I would encourage you to pay close attention to her water intake so that she was not get dehydrated. You may want to strictly feed her a moist diet if she is good about eating wet food. I wouldn't offer too many varieties as we do not want to cause diarrhea.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. There is also a product available at most pet stores called nutri-cal. It is a high-calorie, palatable gel that can be given to cats if they are not eating well. A very small amount is high in calories so you don't have to get a large amount into a pet that is not eating. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5-star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week and keep me posted.
Sincerely ***** *****
Thank you very much. I’ll keep it all in mind and keep and eye on her. How long is the time limit that should be waited before taking her to the vet for not eating?
A decreased appetite is one thing but if she suddenly stops eating all together then I would take her in right away. If she is able to eat a little bit through the weekend and seems to be maintaining her hydration that you should be able to wait until Monday. You can certainly message me throughout the weekend if you have any specific questions or concerns.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you