Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

About a month ago my cat was throwing up horribly. We took…

Customer Question
Hello. About a month...

Hello. About a month ago my cat was throwing up horribly. We took him to the vet and they ran blood work which came back unremarkable. They also did exrays and ultra sound. It was determined that he was extremely constipated and dehydrated. He had also lost a lot of wait....Since then he has lost at least 40% of his weight and seems really thin. He also was a very muscular cat and it seems as though he has lost muscle mass. He is very lethargic and is moving much slower and having difficulty make normal jumps. He is now using his cat box, but he is not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

He is 11, but was in great health just 2 months ago. He was also over 20lbs but not fat. Just a very big, fit cat.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 28 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your cat has lost weight and is lethargic. There are a few conditions that can cause these signs in older cats, including diabetes, kidney disease, and hyperthyroidism, to name a few. If his blood work was unremarkable, those things have been ruled out. If the x-rays and ultrasound were normal, that would also rule out an obvious tumor. However, irritable bowel disease and GI lymphoma are still possibilities and you would need to have intestinal biopsies to diagnose them. If you do not wish to have intestinal biopsy done due to expense and discomfort to your cat, your vet can also start treatment for IBD/lymphoma with oral prednisolone. Another possibility is that your cat's pancreas is no longer secreting enough digestive enzymes to be able to properly digest the food he eats, so he is not getting enough calories and that is why he has lost weight. This condition, called exocrine pancreatic sufficiency, can be tested for by sending a blood sample for a GI panel to the Texas A&M vet school lab. The treatment is to give supplemental pancreatic enzymes in his food.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian