Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My vet said she only uses the one year rabies vaccine

because the 3 yr vaccine...
My vet said she only uses the one year rabies vaccine because the 3 yr vaccine is linked to causing cancer. Do you know where this research may have been published? Have you read about this and do you think the one year vaccine is more safe than the 3 yr vaccine? I will get my cat vaccinated every year if I need to. I’m just curious about this.
3/24/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Are you still there?

Paul

Just waiting.

Okay great

What she said is not accurate

There are no studies that back-up her claims

The three year vaccine is very safe

I hope that helps!

Paul

it is helpful. So what you’re saying is you haven’t read about this at all? And/or that you have used the 3 yr and it is safe? How are the 2 vaccines different?

That is correct

The difference is in how the vaccine is manufactured-> They use different ingredients to increase/prolong the response to the vaccine

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian