Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is leaving drops of blood around the house. Her urine…

My cat is leaving...

My cat is leaving drops of blood around the house. Her urine is also blood-tinged, but these drops are darker and always very small amounts. One of them had a worm-looking thing in it today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your cat's name and age?

Rooster. She's 14.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

She has advanced kidney disease. We are treating her twice daily with sub-cutaneous IV fluids. She is also on an antibiotic for a kidney infection.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She gets twice-daily thyroid cream on her ears.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Rooster is having some bloody urine. How long has she been on antibiotics and was a urine culture done prior to starting them?

She has had many urine cultures. She has been on various antibiotics since October.
Currently on enrofloxacin.
The only reason I am checking is regarding the worm thing, which is new. Want to make sure it's not an urgent concern that can't wait until our regular vet is open on Monday.

Kidney worms are a possibility but they are also rare. Most likely what you are seeing is some bladder sludge composed of mucus or crystals. If she is already on antibiotics and pain medications, it would be fine to wait until Monday to get her to the vet.

OK. Thank you very much. I appreciate the reassurance.
She has a robust appetite and is sociable, so those are good signs.

Those are great signs. I hope she continues to do well. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian