Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We've been treating Buddy for kidney disease by feeding him…

Customer Question
We've been treating Buddy for...
We've been treating Buddy for kidney disease by feeding him royal canin renal food mixed with his canned food and he always has dry food out. I mix water with his canned food mix and he likes to eat in small increments throughout the day, all day and night. Now he has been diagnosed with diabetes and we are being told that he can only eat once every 12 hours before his insulin injection. I worry he will become dehydrated since he is not eating as much. He cries for food all the time and it is breaking my heart, I'm not sure I'm even doing the insulin injection right, but have someone coming over tomorrow to see if I got it right. It seems that what is good for the kidney disease is not good for the diabetes and vice versa. He is completely blind and deaf, but his sense of smell is very strong. We have another cat in the house and I don't want to restrict her food, so I put it up high where Buddy cannot get it, but he can smell it and knows it is there. Buddy is 18, but he appears to be doing great, but the blood work at the vet says he is very ill. Is there a good alternative to insulin injections? Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Buddy has both kidney disease and diabetes. These can be difficult to manage on their own and can be even trickier to manage together. You ask some good questions. The ideal diet for kidney disease is a canned food, phosphorus restricted diet. The ideal diet for diabetes is a low carbohydrate diet. Canned food is much lower in carbohydrates and much better for the kidneys than dry food, so I would feed Buddy an all canned diet. His excessive hunger is due to the diabetes. Since his pancreas is not producing enough insulin to allow his body to use nutrients for energy, he feels hungry all the time. This will resolve with insulin treatment. There is no alternative to insulin therapy, and I recommend getting him started as soon as possible. Sometimes with a switch to a canned diet, and starting insulin early, some cats can go into remission from their diabetes and not require insulin anymore.

Does it have to be every 12 hours? I try to do it at 7a and 7pm, but sometimes I have to be at work before 7 and sometimes don't get home until after 7. Most of the time I can be home at 7a and 7p, but not always. How flexible can we be with the dosages?

It is okay if they are not exactly 12 hours apart. The concern with staying as close to 12 hours apart is possible is to avoid giving an overdose of insulin. To avoid this, I would learn how to check his blood glucose at home prior to every injection so you do not overdose him with insulin. The person coming to show you how to give the injections may know how to test blood glucose, as well. You can find more information about testing and feline diabetes at www.felinediabetes.com. They have some great resources, including a message board for owners that have cats with diabetes.