Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How often should i give my cat a dosage of Bayer tapeworm…

how often should i give...
how often should i give my cat a dosage of Bayer tapeworm dewormer. My cat is an adult male, (6 years old), weighs at least 10 pounds and his breed is Tabby. Each tablet of the medication contains 23 mg praziquantel
3/24/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

ok, I'll be on standby

If Shadow is going outdoors and hunting, and being exposed to fleas, routinely to prevent tapeworm infestation I would probably worm him every 3 months, or 4 times a year. A 10 pound cat would take one 23mg dose of Praziquantel per dose.

In general with adult cats a twice a year worming is recommended, but we can tailor that to an individual cat's lifestyle, and if he is getting out and being exposed to possible sources often then a more frequent worming protocol is best.

Be aware that Praziquantel only treats tapeworms, so if he's an outdoor guy too we also need to consider wormings for roundworms and hookworms, pyrantel is great for that.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hi Elvis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shadow. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara