Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 year old male cat recently has changed behavior and…

Customer Question
Good morning. My 3...

Good morning. My 3 year old male cat recently has changed behavior and it’s concerning me. He used to have a heavy appetite and the last week has not eaten much and he is losing weight. He never plays with my other male cat anymore and isolates himself then becomes aggressive when the other cat try’s to play or be near him. He seems to be lethargic often throughout the day. He used to never allow me to hold him and was quick to move away when he was going to be pet but now he allows me to do these things. My cats are both indoor only and nothing has changed in their diet or surroundings.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

That’s all I can think of at this time. This behavior has only been different for approximately a week.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your cat isn't eating much and has lost weight, is lethargic, and seems bothered by the other cat. There are a number of conditions that can cause these signs, but they are more common in older cats. Some of the conditions are diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, and hyperthyroidism. Somethings that can cause these signs in younger, indoor cats are pancreatitis and foreign body ingestion, among other things. It sounds like your cat is in pain and that could be why he is not tolerating your other cat. My recommendation is to get him to the vet for an exam and an abdominal x-ray to rule out a foreign body obstruction. They will also want to run some blood work to try to figure out what might be going on. He would also benefit from some fluid therapy, and supportive medications such as anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulant, and your vet may also prescribe him pain medication if they think he needs it.

How much do visits like that typically run?

Different clinics charge different fees. The average cost of an exam is around $40. I would call a few clinics and let them know what's going on. They should be willing to work within your budget to make a treatment plan that will help him.

Thank you so much for your help!

You're welcome! I hope he feels better soon. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.