Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was just wheezing and had clear discharge coming from…

Customer Question
My cat was just...

My cat was just wheezing and had clear discharge coming from her nose and it seemed like she wasn't getting air in. she seems to be fine now but I am worried because this is the third time something similar to this has happened in the past week and a half. I don't know if she has asthma but I can say that she does have allergies to about everything. I don't know if she is having asthma attacks or if it is something else. My vet is currently out of town for the next week and her replacement does not like to sedate the animals.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

I have caught her dry heaving twice in the past week and a half without producing a hairball or anything outside of saliva. Today just a few minutes ago she was wheezing and seemed to be struggling to get air in, she also had clear discharge from her nose at the same time as wheezing

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

I had her allergy tested last year and she is allergic to a numerous amount of thins, such as grass, weeds, trees, dust, fleas, etc.. other than that she is a healthy cat.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

Asthma certainly should be a consideration in such an allergic patient. It's considered to be a subtype of allergic bronchitis in the cat. Clarifying if asthma is present requires a complete blood count (CBC) looking for an increase in the white blood cell eosinophil and/or typical changes in the lungfields as seen in X-rays...which aren't always present in asthmatic cats. Please note that sedation isn't required for either a CBC or X-rays.

Her dry heaving isn't related to her respiratory tract unless it's being misconstrued as regurgitation/vomiting and, instead, she's actually wheezing/struggling to breathe due to bronchoconstriction of asthma. The clear discharge from her nose is likely to be a vasomotor (neurologic) sign seen with autonomic nervous system stimulation. It's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian