Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is having trouble urinating, she had this before and…

My cat is having...

My cat is having trouble urinating, she had this before and it passed within the hour. she keeps going in the box and nothing comes out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

Sadie, she'll be 10 next month

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sadie?

She'll be 10 next month

3/24/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Sadie is having trouble urinating. Most commonly, this is a symptom of a urinary tract infection. I recommend getting her to the vet for a urinalysis. If she does in fact have a urinary tract infection, they will want to treat it with antibiotics. Since she is an older cat, Sadie is at risk of developing conditions that can lead to urinary tact infections, so the vet may recommend some blood work, as well. Diabetes and kidney disease can both increase the chance of urinary tract infections, so your vet will want to rule those out.

is it ok to wait until tomorrow to take her to vet?

Urinary tract infections can cause kidney problems if left untreated too long. Since this only started today, I doubt that waiting until tomorrow would cause Sadie to have kidney damage. However, based on her behavior in the litter box, she is most certainly in discomfort/pain. So yes, you could wait until tomorrow, but she would be in pain and discomfort until then.

Thank you

You're welcome. I hope she feels better soon. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel