Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She's 21 years old, very arthritic, not eating much and

Customer Question
She's 21 years old...

She's 21 years old, very arthritic, not eating much and vomits it up about half the time, she drinks tons of water, sleeps most of day and night, has trouble getting up on furniture, recently opened mouth wide and punctured young child who was petting her with four teeth, occassionally acts like she wants to bite me. she is very skinny. she does not seem to be in pain. A month ago the vet said not to do testing since she was on the way down but still ok. she weighs half of what she weighed 5 years ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

I made an appointment with vet center and they thoght aggression was the key to it being the right time to euthanize but when i told my grown son whose cat it was he freaked out and insisted I not euthanize her and just let her live out her life. I said i would change the appointment to an assessment. is that the right thing to do? he wants to say goodbye and have his baby say goodbye and that seems okay to me- after vet assessment. Do you agree

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear your elderly cat is not feeling well. Has she had any lab testing done to find out what could be going on? Older cats can develop a number of conditions that can cause the lack of appetite, vomiting, and weight loss you are seeing, including diabetes, kidney disease, and hyperthyroidism. Drinking a lot of water can be a sign of diabetes or kidney disease. If caught early enough, these can be treated to give your cat more time and a better quality of life. The fact that she has arthritis and trouble getting on furniture indicates that she is, in fact, in pain. She may have dental pain, as well. That could explain her unwillingness to be touched/aggression. Pain in older cats can be treated. A great option is a medication called buprenorphine, which comes as a liquid that can be given orally.

Regarding changing your vet appointment from a euthanasia appointment to a consultation, I think that is worth pursuing if you are willing to have some lab testing done to determine the cause of her signs and get her some treatment. At this point in time her quality of life isn't great, so if you are not interested in lab testing and treatment, euthanasia is a better option for her.