Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Actiallly I have a question regarding keeping pets while…

Customer Question
Hello Pearl - actiallly...

Hello Pearl - actiallly I have a question regarding keeping pets while pregnant

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

At home I have three cats (indoor cats) and a dog - I have become increasingly worried about getting toxoplasmosis. I don’t change their litter or anything like that. I’m actually really scared st the moment even seeing a cat hair on my clothes. It’s gotten really bad. There’s so much online that’s scary about this and I don’t know what’s right and what’s wrong.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I have three cats and a dog. But the cats are on the third floor and I don’t interact much with them. The dog however has been close to the cat and goes out like other dogs.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I know its a worrying situation but I can tell you that there is no risk with their hairs. Its just the feces you need to avoid direct contact with and just so you understand how low a risk the pets are its specifically fecal-oral contact (in people usually due to not washing their hands, of course). So, as long as you are off litter box duties or at least washing your hands after being in contact with their feces it will be fine. And if you don't have regular interactions with them (dogs don't tend to carry the risk as they don't eat the wildlife that can cause infection in the first place), then that is even a lesser risk. And just to put it into perspective, pregnant vets keep seeing cat patient (and all patients really) until they go on maternity leave. The only thing we may avoid is surgery on intestines (but even then its a low risk). So, your situation isn't a worrisome one here and we'd not be worried about Toxo being passed to you.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you so much Dr B- and just to add my worry with the dog is that she’s been around the litter box although highly unlikely that she’s actually been inside it. Also she goes outside - do I need to be afraid of her paws for instance if she’s been in the garden? Thank you so much.

You are very welcome, my dear.

As long as she isn't eating cat feces from the box (else a hooded litter box or baby gate with a cat door may be ideal), there is no risk there. And the chance of her contact with cat feces in the yard is very small and isn't really something we'd worry about. Of course, you could work with her to clean her paws (wipe down with a damp washcloth) before coming in the house (someone else could or you could wear gloves or just wash your hands after) to remove any worry for you.

All the best,

Dr. B

**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian