Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Last night he threw up all his food he ate and has diarrhea…

Last night he threw...

Last night he threw up all his food he ate and has diarrhea now this morning he won't eat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

George 5 yrs old and I feed them Fancy Feast with gravy 3 times a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about George?

He's the only one. I have 3 more cats and they're all born from the same mother out of a feral colony of barn cats which have been there for 30 yrs.They all had upper respiratory and eye infections that I treated 3 times. One cat has heart murmur and was getting constipation from dry food. They've been on canned food for at least 2 yrs. I never see them drink anyway water but have it there for them anyway.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the vomit and diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

His vomit looked like the food he just ate.
No blood in diarrhea. It is light brown like the food color. He went at least 3 or more times last night. First discovered when I could smell it on him. It was down his legs and on fur around anus. I cleaned him as best I could plus trimmed some hair. He has long hair.
Wouldn't come to eat this morning so I went downstairs and found small amount of diarrhea in 1 of 5 litter boxes.
I put some food mixed w/water and set just some water where he is now laying. He won't eat or drink.
His gums are not sticky yet but not excessively moist. Gums are pink in places and pale white in other.
His hide snaps back in place when I pulled on it.
He doesn't seem to react when I press on his stomach and intestinal area.
I don't have any plants in chemicals are all stored away and cupboards.
If I drop a pill I always make sure to find it. I guess it could be possible that I dropped one and didn't know it. It just seems unlikely that any of them would eat a pill.
So what do you think?
I can't afford another $28. I'm on disability

Hello again,

That is fine, ignore the autocall offer as its from the site not me.

First, I feel your lad has severe nausea which will cause both vomiting and appetite loss. Furthermore, with the diarrhea this tells us he has upper and lower GI involvement. So, we'd be worried about a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion, and harmful ingestion (pill risks depend on what they are and the cat, as many won't take tablets at the best of time.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try tempting him to eat. Favoites are allowed else we can try boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Or if we can settle his nausea but he cannot be tempted, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And to any of these fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Furthermore, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies (of course avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol or salicylic acid/aspirin containing products as those aren't cat friendly).. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
One more question. If he has a viral or bacterial gastroenteritis could my other cats become sick as well?

Hi again,

It is a risk if this is one of our viral or bacterial agents. So, you may just want to isolate him from the others just so we can reduce exposure (especially to the diarrhea) for the moment.

All the best,

Dr. B

Thanks for your help. Absolutely 5 Stars!

You are very welcome, my dear.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.