Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 4 yrs old. He disappeared for a year and then was…

My cat is 4...

My cat is 4 yrs old. He disappeared for a year and then was found. He has or did have parasites. I have been giving him the treatment. But he seems to have some problems after eating. He is not getting sick. But he will come to me and kneed and purr and his lower body seems to be having spasms. If he hears a noise he will stop. And pay attention to the noise then return to his kneading and purring and spasms. He will climb on my arm and even kick me with his back foot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Jasper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?

No he seems normal otherwise. Eating seems to be the trigger for this. He still goes outside when I let the dog out and then comes back in. He has been in the tree and on the roof while we are outside. He hasn't been sleeping more than normal. He still does a

3/24/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has this been ongoing?

Does he eat his food quite quick?

Is he on dry or canned food?

When he has these spasms, does he seem uncomfortable?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He won't let me touch him, he meows and turns away. He is not gagging or anything. He does seem uncomfortable. He eats dry and wet food. He has always just eaten when he is hungry. He is normal the rest of the time. A couple weeks. I have noticed it more often lately.

Hello again,

Now the first thing I'd note, the kneeding/purring isn't an abnormal thing and if he has been missing for a year (when food and comfort was likely scarce), this is most likely behavioral and a sign that he is seeking comfort. And it may be that he is more jumpy (why he stops suddenly with noises) because he is feeling insecure or there is some change at home (in or outside) that has him feeling a bit less confident then usual.

Otherwise, the spasms are potentially more significant for Jasper as they can be a sign of indigestion or belly discomfort (which sounds less likely). Since he doesn't have severe GI upset, it may be that his body is fighting off a mild gut infection, that he a growing worm population in the GI (they do need to be wormed every 3 months, so if he is due that would be a base to cover), or that there is an imbalance in the good gut microflora (which can cause gas/changes in gut movement). To try to reduce these, we could worm again at this stage, add in a OTC GI microflora support like a probiotic (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to his meals, or even try an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. For the last one, of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, his signs are subtle. The clinginess isn't overly worrisome and usually they will settle once the upsetting factor has passed. So, we can focus on the GI since its after eating we see spasms and behavior change. Of course, if these signs linger then we may want his local vet to examine him to make sure there is nothing more afoot with the GI (ie thickening, partial blockage, etc) but usually these signs do settle with time.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will plain yogurt help? I am giving him the treatment for parasites right now. When he is having the spasms it looks like he is fighting the urge to poop. Just thought of that. He doesn't take any medication, never has. Will changing to science diet help. I buy stuff with no dyes now. Thank you so much for your help. I am grateful. I am on sure I could afford a vet visit right now.

Hello again,

It will depend on the exact cause, but if the diet is giving him indigestion (as some can), a diet change to a easily digestible option would be something to consider. Otherwise, yogurt in a small dose will do no harm but usually isn't very beneficial for this species (they've quite a different metabolism).

Though if that is what it looks like he is doing, can you tell me if he has had any issues passing urine or feces otherwise?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian