Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

FAD with hair loss and severe skin lacerations from

FAD with hair loss...

FAD with hair loss and severe skin lacerations from scratching. Changed to oral flea meds but can't get her skin to heal, only seems to be getting worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

No very little. Her skin is very oily and scabby

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Coco 12 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

No. Up to date on everything.

3/24/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Coco has a history of intense scratching caused by flea allergies. Can you please tell me what flea prevention did you switch Coco to currently? Are you still seeing fleas on Coco despite this change or is it the skin lacerations you are observing still without the fleas?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Currently started Capstar today and am to continue for 5 days. Was on revolution

Thank you. So Capstar works for about 1-2 days, so that could be effective for the short term. Are you seeing the itching behavior on any part of the body specifically? Are you observing fleas on Coco?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

I have seen 1-2 fleas today during bath. Mainly from the front shoulders up the back and to the base of head as far as scratching. She has been chewing a lot at the base of her tail.

Ok, so it sounds like she is not responding well to the main flea prevention types. In this situation, it would be important to keep her in a location where fleas are not likely to live such as a place with hard wood floor or linoleum. This is done until any carpets or rugs and bedding can be vacuumed and cleaned, making sure to focus underneath furniture as well. That should solve all the flea issues, whether or not you find a flea prevention that works. The next step is to find one that does not appear to have resistance issues. There are many other choices such as Vectra, Simparica, Advantage II, etc.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Ok but I don't want to use any topicals until she is healed. It's looks like she has a severe skin infection. Her hair is almost completely gone in those spots, extremely oily, clear liquid substance come from wounds, and it's just getting worse. I've been using shampoos but it's just getting worse. It's pretty severe

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Can I use fish amox/cephal to help treat her?

It sounds like she needs an antibiotic if the skin is broken or there is clear liquid coming from the wounds. The clear liquid is a classic finding with dermatitis. It will be difficult to heal the skin without a systemic antibiotic. Topical triple antibiotic ointments like Neosporin can be helpful, but the severity of this sounds like a systemic (i.e. oral or injection) antibiotic would be better. In the meantime you can also clean the wounds daily by using an over-the-counter chlorhexidine flush.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Would otc abx's work in this case?

The fish capsules are designed to dissolve rapidly in water and can be caustic to the mouth and esophagus of a cat when ingested. I would not recommend them, although I see the desire to use it since these are the only sources of over-the-counter antibiotics. However, she would do better with a prescription antibiotic.

This can all be resolved with thorough at home cleaning, steroid injection to break the scratch-itch cycle, and systemic antibiotics.

The best over-the-counter approach is to bathe the body to get rid of the current flea burden and treat topically with Neosporin every 8-12 hours. Clean the wounds daily with chlorhexidine or betadine solution. This is not as good as the prescription approach, but it is still a decent treatment approach.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

O wow. I've known many people to utilize the fish abx's for their dogs, that's why I wanted to verify for her first. When I utilize the ointments, is it ok to cover them (she has shirts I can use) or leave them open? How often should I clean wounds and apply ointments?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

I can't get her into her vet until Thursday and it's horrible looking and has to be uncomfortable. I just want to do what I can in the mean time

It would be best to leave them open so it does not trap moisture and heat on the wound, which can exacerbate the lesions. However, we need to protect them and without a steroid to decrease the inflammation a shirt may be necessary. See how she responds after you bathe her and begin applying the antibiotic ointment. Sometimes treating the infection reduces the itch. Try to keep the shirt off as much as possible, but cover it if needed to protect them from being scratched. Clean the wounds daily with chlorhexidine or betadine solution. Apply an antibiotic ointment every 8-12 hours.

I think this approach should hold you over and even improve the condition until you can get her seen on Thursday.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Ok perfect. I really appreciate your assistance with this.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian