Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have an xray from my cat today. There's some kind of mass…

I have an xray...

I have an xray from my cat today. There's some kind of mass but the vet doesn't know what it is. Can you take a look and see if it's something you've seen before?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your cat's name and age?

Gracie Marie, 10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?

Everything is fine in terms of values but she is anemic. She has had issues gaining weight over the last 4 or 5 years and lately has dropped from about 5.5 pounds to 5 pounds over the last 6 mos. So we took an xray and saw this mass.

3/24/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to see this in Garcie Marie. I see a well encapsulated mass effect which is cystic - a cystic tumor or perhaps abscess. It's in the area of the caudal liver and may originate from the liver as that organ is quite enlarged. This may also originate from the spleen. There's a significant amount of free fluid in the abdomen as well which suggests inflammation secondary to infection, neoplasia, or both. A ventro-dorsal view of the abdomen is missing. Abdominal ultrasound should clarify what this mass effect represents although any treatment would involve opening the abdomen to have a better look and perhaps remove this mass if it were reasonable to do so. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thanks! This is exactly what I suspected. I don't think waiting, taking another xray, and seeing how it looks is going to be very helpful and just cost even more money.

You're quite welcome. We're on the same page. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Will do, thanks!

I appreciate it!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?