Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has advanced kidney disease. He's been in orbax for…

Customer Question
My cat has...

My cat has advanced kidney disease. He's been in orbax for 3weeks for kidney infection. He now has diarrhea. Wonder if it's the kidneys or the meds?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Socrates.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Socrates?

He has heart disease. When the vet checked him out recently she said his kidneys were tiny. We talked about end of life options but then she found the infection and gave him orbax. He was in for weight loss, vomiting with blood.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Socrates has been having diarrhea. While diarrhea can be a seen with kidney disease, I am guessing that the diarrhea is being caused by the antibiotic. I would ask your vet about giving him a pro-biotic while he is getting the antibiotic.

Thank you. That was my feeling as well. I didn't know there are probiotics for feelings. It's been 3 weeks since the start of the medication. My husband said it's been going on for 3 days. I didn't notice until today when it was outside the litter box. Is that prescription only?

No, there are over-the-counter probiotic products as well. You should be able to find them in any pharmacy. A small amount of yogurt with live cultures may help also.