Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has reflux and I was hoping to get advice on the best…

Customer Question
My cat has reflux...

My cat has reflux and I was hoping to get advice on the best way to compound famotidine at home. Should I gri d and weigh the proper s

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

Dose into chicken broth?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

Did you read my explanation?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

....

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your cat eating normally?

Gerd. famotidine. chicken broth or something else.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your cat having trouble peeing or pooing?

...

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is your cat behaving differently?

...

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?

11 yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Irrelevant, but toes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She cant eat fish due to gastritis, worsening reflux issues. really only does well with chicken and kangaroo.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/23/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Sorry to hear about Toes's acid reflux. Are you having a hard time giving her a Pepcid tablet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yep. she is a ninja with spitting up tabs.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
still there?

Yes sorry.

You said she can eat chicken and kangaroo. Maybe you can try crushing the pill and mixing it up with food that her stomach can tolerate?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will certainly try that, however I was hoping to put it into suspension that i can save in the fridge for a while. example: 1 mg/kg for her is 5 mg. a 30 day supply is crushed up 15 tabs. for 5mg/0.5 mL, that is suspended in 7.5 mL of something liquid. since tab famotidine is slightly soluble in water, having fat in the mix should be helpful. broth, oil additive, xanthan gum are my thoughts. i expect settling, so mixing again before each dose would be necessary. thoughts?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it should be noted that i have put meds in food before and she will not eat it. she is incredibly picky.

Okay give me a few minutes to do some research please.

According to other vets, they suggest getting it compounded by a pharmacy instead of trying to do this yourself due to concerns about pH, stability, and resulting palatibility. Do you have a compounding pharmacy around?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to clarify: i would give 0.25 mL of the mixture if 150 mg is suspended into 7.5 mL. the smallest amount i have to squirt into her posterior oropharynx the better.

That's correct. The concentration would be 20 mg/ml and her dose would be 5 mg. So you would give 5/20 = 0.25 ml.

If the famotidine does not help, you could ask your vet to call in a prescription antacid to a compounding pharmacy. Just be sure that they don't flavor it with something she's allergic to, like fish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have several. i juat hate spending 200 on the visit + med when I can do it at home. I do get the pH issue and stability issue.

I don't have experience with compounding suspensions myself. If your main concern is that dose, then yes, those calculations are correct.

If you would like, I can open your questions up to other experts that know about compounding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ah. thanks. yeah main concern is what to mix it with, not the calculations, though I do appreciate another pair of eyes on it.

Okay, I'll opt out so other experts can weigh in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i would appreciate it! thank you.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian