Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat seems to be weak on his hind legs. He had fever 5…

Hello, my cat seems...

Hello, my cat seems to be weak on his hind legs. He had fever 5 days ago, and we brought him to the vet and was given antibiotics. I noticed that he was wobbly the other day, but yesterday and the whole day today he seemed fine. We were on the stairs and I started wiping his eyes (he doesn't like it) to remove the gunk from his colds (which is so much better). When he tried to run away, he couldn't get up the steps and he had a hard time going down properly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Riley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?

He's eating, drinking, and using the litter box. He's not as active as regular, but he still plays. We have mice in the house that they regularly catch. Zoey, the other cat, is fine.

3/23/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Riley appears to be having a hard time getting around. How old is he, and does he go outside?

He just had his first birthday March 8 this year. He rarely goes out as he's one of the indoor residents, but we have fosters that stay on another area of our house. Our lot is huge, so kittens usually get dumped here because the lot looks empty.

Are you giving him antibiotics at home? Did he have any lab work done at the vet's?

he's taking his antibiotics without issue.5 days ago he had a runny nose and very wet eyes. The vet checked him out and had a hard time getting his blood levels, so he ruled it as bacterial infection. I asked them if they needed to run tests, and the vet said it seemed like a regular bacterial infection so it wasn't necessary. He prescribed us dextrose powder to add to his water, 1/4 of a pill once a day, and antibiotics twice a day for 7 days. Riley was also given shots for his fever. He responded to them well and seemed like he was on the way to recovery the couple of days after.The reason why I'm writing this is that it's almost 2am where I live, and the vets are closed.

I am wondering whether he had a hard time running away due to weakness, some musculoskeletal problem, or perhaps a neurological cause. He did have a fever and I wonder if it returned after the medication your vet gave wore off. Fever can cause signs of deliriousness and staggering.

It could be his fever coming back, as he doesn't have other issues just that his hind legs seem to be weak. I'll try to get his temperature in a bit to check, thanks!If it's not fever, what tests should do you recommend I ask for when I bring him in tomorrow?
what tests do you*

If basic blood work was not done, I recommend getting that done. He should have a chemistry profile to check his organ function, and a complete blood count to check for infection, among other things.

He currently has a 39.9 temperature, so his fever is kicking in again. I'll ask to get those and get him screened for any musculoskeletal issue. Hopefully his results come back clean and it's just a bacterial infection.Thanks for the help and advice, I appreciate it!

You're welcome! Good luck with him! If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel