Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just am trying to find closure. My 12 year old cat died…

Customer Question
I just am trying...

I just am trying to find closure. My 12 year old cat died unexpectedly last week. He was sleeping on my bed, and all of the sudden started making snoring noises. I didn't think anything of it. This went on for about 10 mins. then he stretched out onto his back with his paws in the air. (Also normal). then all of the sudden he kicked in the air twice, and I flipped him over, his pupils were huge and he panted hard twice and then died.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Seymour, 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Seymour?

He has been taking steroid medications every couple of months. We never found out what he was allergic too. He had a seizure about a month ago. And he had overgroomed himself to the point of quite a bit of hair loss on his stomach and legs. But this has happened often in between shots.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I was in shock, and not very good at coping with it. I kind of just gave up and considered him dead. I just feel really bad that it could have been something as simple as a hairball, and I could have saved him. While on the way to the vet I pulled his tongue forward a little, but couldn't see into his throat. And my dad also suggested CPR, but I wasnt exactly sure how to do it, and his breath smelled bad. (which also had been filling me with huge regret) :(. I feel bad that I just gave up when I could have helped save him. I just wasnt in a stable mindset to do so. And I didn't know what to do.
Since it was a Saturday, the vet was closed. As bad luck would have it.
He had been scratching at his throat more for the past week. And he had a few scratch marks on his neck. But this may have just come because his nails were getting to long, and he couldnt retract them. He started to get stuck on rugs and carpet too.
3/23/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm so sorry to hear about Simon. I do not think he died from choking on a hairball. I think he probably had some underlying heart disease and threw a clot to his lungs.

It's doubtful that he would have even made it to the vet even if you had tried.

Even though he had been snoring heavily, and his breaths he gave out were very staggered?

The snoring could just have been normal snoring. He may have had a few struggled breaths due to a clot to the lungs, but this is not something that anyone could have predicted.