Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have Nigerian dwarf goats. One kissed Monday and gave…

Hi, we have Nigerian...

Hi, we have Nigerian dwarf goats. One kissed Monday and gave birth to one girl. The baby is super tiny. The mom is neighing like crazy which is not normal. Her udders are very full. The baby seems a bit lethargic. I’m thinking of supplementing the baby. Would mom be loud if she knew something were wrong with the baby?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the goat. What is the goat's name and age?

Mama is Ollie. She is 11 months old. This is her first kid. Baby is Maple.

3/23/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. I think supplementing is a good idea. The mom could be neighing because the kid is not nursing and her udders are painful. Have you tried stripping/milking her? Is the kid nursing?

Ok. We milked mom a little bit last night, but she is not happy about it. Any ideas is easy ways to milk?
I haven’t seen the kid nurse at all today and not much yesterday. What would you recommend supplementing with?

Land O Lakes Doe's Match Kid Milk Replacer

LAND O'LAKES, INC.

Telephone: (###) ###-####/p>

Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

Website: www.lolmilkreplacer.com

Email:***@******.***

Sorry I don't have any easier ideas on milking but it should become less painful the more you do it.

Also your local feed store may have this milk replacer or a similar one

I hope this helps! and I wish you the best with the milk replacement. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Also, please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks and have a great night!

Heath Wilkerson
Thank you