Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Facts are as follows: We have 2 cats, siblings. Big orange…

Facts are as follows: ...

Facts are as follows:

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

We have 2 cats, siblings. Big orange longhairs. First one HARLEY. Symptoms: 1. Significantly reduced appetite, 3-4 days 2. Not drinking (at all?) for ? days 3. Vomiting several hrs after eating, usu. once per day & once per night; some hair, mostly water or bile. He does show hunger behavior, begs for food, looks and sniffs but won't eat. Sister cat is HONEY. Exhibited loss of appetite, beginning earlier than her brother, not as drastic, ended after a couple days and she's back to normal, eating and drinking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

It should be said that they are both outside cats. Their yard is fenced in, but we've found animal feces (rat, raccoon?, possum) and partially eaten items out there (fruit from the neighbors' garden. There are also some fungus which pop up every after rainy weather.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

HARLEY and HONEY, as stated above.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about HARLEY?

Nothing else. Please refer to already--submitted comments. Thank you.

3/23/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Hello! Thank you for getting back to me. As for your questions, there have been no changes whatsoever to any of the things you mention above. They have 1 scoop each 2X/day, usually 12 hours apart. They are not currently being treated for anything.

How old are they both?

Are they indoors only?

They're 7 to 9 years. They are indoor AND outdoor cats. Please refer to the original description of symptoms and circumstances originally submitted. And thank you.

Thank you for the clarification.

My biggest concern right now is for Harley since Honey is already back to normal by the sounds of it. Here are my concerns: When cats begin not eating well or vomiting up their food content their liver suffers the effects. This can result in a condition known as Fatty Liver Disease (aka Hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure if not addressed. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217 I would urge you to have your companion examined and to also schedule some diagnostics at this time. Bloodwork to look at the liver values would be wise, but also to determine on the blood work if there are any additional concerns which might have originally been the cause of not eating. We can see medical concerns like liver disease, pancreatitis, kidney disease, bladder infections, periodontal disease, etc. all contribute to not eating in any age of cat.

The symptoms for both cats may be something they both ingested, a shared illness like feline aids or feline leukemia, intestinal parasites, etc. Or this could be something that just happened by chance that they both fell ill near the same time.

I do think it would be best for Harley to see a veterinarian for diagnostics. Failing this, I can give you some tips on how to restore his appetite and get him back to eating normally without vomiting. If this does not help him within the next day, however, I would absolutely default to a veterinary visit.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you very, very much for your recommendations! Harley is already scheduled for a visit tomorrow. I just didn't want to go in completely clueless as to what the possibilities are. So 5 Stars, of course! Thanks again. --Joshua

Sure thing. If I can help further, please let me know. Good luck!