Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Well this just started happening yesterday when my cat,

Well this just started...

Well this just started happening yesterday when my cat, Prowler starting meowing from under my moms bed. hes usually a very quiet and rarely ever meows. his meowing was very insistent but nothing seemed to be wrong. until today that is, he had two more episodes. the first one was while i was asleep, my brother said the Prowler ran across his face and woke him up and flipped onto his back and started spasming, fell off the bed and curled under some blankets and started meowing instantly again. Awhile ago he had his third episode, i heard him meowing and found him in moms room. after a few moments he made this face like he'd eaten something rotten and started running around the house, well he was more doing a hop then running, like a bunny. he was running into furniture so my brother managed to catch him and for a few minutes he was producing a lot of spit that he was drooling. my brother then passed him onto me to hold and started checking him. he was breathing really heavily and he said that Prowlers stomach was spasming. Prowler let me hold him for about 30 minutes while he calmed down, Prowler never lets anyone hold him more then for a few seconds, my cat hates being off the ground. I'm wondering if you have any ideas what could be happening to him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if Prowler will be able to digest that. How old is Prowler?

7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Prowler?

Not that i can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

What breed of cat->Maine coon? Ragdoll?

Is he breathing faster then normal?

Able to pass urine?

Paul

he's a domestic short haired cat. He was breathing heavier then normal when i was holding him, I can go check if he still is. I dont know about that last question because we have another cat and its hard to tell which one uses which litter box.

Okay thanks

I dont like the sounds of things

That meowing and changes in breathing worry me

I have seen this too many times to take a chance here

And I have to recommend that he be examined and chest x-rays taken

Cardiomyopathy is my big concern

Paul

He's eating and drinking, but is more often found laying curled up in a corner of a room, under a bed or behind a door. and his breathing is fine now. His heartbeat also sounds normal. im hoping to find a vet near me that doesnt cost too much cause my household is barely scraping by as is.

Okay I am glad he is resting quietly now

Good call on finding vet in AM- will save you a lot of money

Please keep me updated

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Thank you. I'll keep you posted on anything else that happens. Have a good night. :)

10-4

He had another run/hop around the house and he kept on running into things while doing it too, like he was behind the toilet and just running into the wall, knocking over the plunger. In the middle of his run he froze in front of a closed door like he didn't know what to do and then started back up again, i managed to pick him up after that. I'm beginning to wonder if his stomach is in pain and if that's his way of trying to deal with it. also hes drooling a bit again and his breathing has picked up.
He went for another run. This time he fell onto his side and instead of righting himself he was running in place on the ground. I picked him up and comforted him as he meowed at me. There was some more drool on his face.

Yeah he needs to be examined

Fainting or seizures

Paul