Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My siamese cat is too clingy, he gets upset if I go to the…

Customer Question
My siamese cat is...

My siamese cat is too clingy, he gets upset if I go to the bathroom without him, he sleeps on top of me, and he gets extremely upset when I leave, to the point that he wants to come with me, trying to sneak out when I open the door to leave. He is an indoor cat, and I try to take him outside from time to time, but he wont even get out of his carrier when I do. Can I make him a little bit more self dependant somehow?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your Siamese cat. What is your Siamese cat's name and age?

Theodore, and he is 2yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Theodore?

2 in june

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Theodore?

He was adopted from a different family by me when he was a little over 1 years old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/23/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

You're seeing variance in personality here. Some cats very much love to spend time with their owners and yet others want to be totally on their own. It's not unlike the wide spectrum of introversion to extroversion we see in humans, in fact. Does Theodore have anyone else in your home that's his buddy, such as a dog or cat? Does he have any emotional or physical stimulus by anyone but yourself, such as set-and-forget toys?

He doesn’t have any other “buddies” in fact he is so scared of other people that he just hide behind the fridge or under the bed. I have friends over all the time, but he gets scared just by the door bell rings. I sound like a horrible person for saying that my cat is too clingy, I love him to death, I don’t want him to be so upset when I leave him alone. I can’t have 2 cats, my place is too small, plus I think that Theodore would get upset. He has plenty of toys, but he won’t play with them if I’m near him, he just wants to be with me.

Have you tried any set-and-forget toys since he won't play when you're near?