Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat Chloe is 16 almost 17. My vet was concerned that she…

Customer Question
My cat Chloe is...

My cat Chloe is 16 almost 17. My vet was concerned that she had lost several pounds in the past year after a few recent UTIs. She had an abultasound and stomach was ok. She had an endoscopy and thank goodness doesn’t have lymphoma but does have IBD. She is on prednisalone. She is eating and drinking but in the last few weeks her back left leg is slippping. She circles and does yowl which she did when she went for check up recently. Bloodwork is ok and Kidney levels are better as she has had early signs of Kidney disease but no medication is required. Vet recommended that she goes to specialty center to get a base neurological exam. Just not sure what’s going on. She is sleeping now but earlier her front paws seemed to be slipping as well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Chloe. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?

Not really.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/23/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help you.

It sounds like you have had a a great workup done on Chloe and it has not turned up the answers that you have hoped for. There are so many things that can go wrong in older cats and it can get very complicated to work out. Can you tell me how long she has been on the prednisolone and when her most recent bloodworm was done.

She had been on the Pred for about 20 days. Blood work was just done this past week. She is a little wobbly when she gets up and her back legs are slipping a little. Noticed that her front paws are slipping too. Hoping to get more answers on Monday.

Most of the common problems in older cats that might lead to weight loss would present obviously on bloodwork. But if your cats bloodwork has been normal other than the early kidney disease, you have to look at the organs systems that don't tend to cause changes in the bloodwork. Those would be the heart and nervous system. The symptoms that you are describing with the yowling, circling and mobility issues definitely point towards the nervous system.

Evaluating the nervous system is complicated and requires advanced imaging and advanced diagnostics such as spinal taps. These are definitely things that you would need to see a specialist for. So, if you want answers I think that is where you need to go. The only other things I would consider before going down that path is..... did the symptoms start after starting the prednisone? Some cats behave strange on prednisone. I don't think that I have seen the slipping paws with prednisone, but I have definitely seen the yowling. I might consider tapering the prednisone and using another medication to treat the IBD.

I hope you can get some answers! Best wishes!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy