Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She ate bacon grease from a skillet. I was not watching.

Customer Question
She ate bacon grease...

She ate bacon grease from a skillet. I was not watching. What should I do, if anything. She is about 7 years old, very healthy. I have only had her 1 year. She was a rescue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Kitty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kitty?

She is often very playful, very sweet, but will NOT allow me to pick her up. She gets in my lap of her own accord, but just will not allow me to pick her up.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any symptoms?

2- How long has it been since she ate the grease?

Friend, if she is not showing any symptoms I would just wait and observe her for the next 24 hours. It is likely that nothing will happen or she could develop vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, etc. If she does vomit or gets diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter