Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a two year old very active cat who runs everywhere…

I have a two...

I have a two year old very active cat who runs everywhere climbs trees etc. For the past two days she has become very lethargic. no

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Boo! is her name. She cries if I try to pick her up and walks very slowly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

She walks as if she is stalking something ,won, let me pick her up and does not want to jump up on bed or chsir

3/23/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Boo is unwell, hopefully, this is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question though I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your cat over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly lethargic and uncomfortable makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her young age group although of course, other diagnoses are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case, I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime, until you can get your cat to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Boo condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?