Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Is it normal for a cat to nibble on you the minute you stop…

Customer Question
Is it normal for...

Is it normal for a cat to nibble on you the minute you stop petting him? He will be super mellow, but as soon as I stop petting him his tail starts flicking hard and he will bite my hand. Not hard or anything, but I've never seen a cat do that before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is***** and he is 4 :)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Krustifer?

Nope. He is up to date on shots and neutered.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

OK sounds good :).

Thank you for your question bout Krustifer! This behavior by him isn't "normal", but I can say that I've definitely seen cats that do this! It is something that some will do as a learned behavior to try and encourage their owners (persons) to pet them more. He basically is enjoying the petting and when it stops, his first reaction is to do this to encourage more petting.

Is there any chance that he learned it from our dog do you think? He has been with her since he was a tiny kitten and she does the exact same thing lol. They are best buddies.
For example he will clean her, and when he stops she will do basically the same thing he does to us when we stop petting him.

Could she have learned it from him? I can't say it is impossible. If she's observant and sees him doing this, then she may try to repeat it.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?