Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He ate a nerf darts. He's done this before and has usually…

Customer Question
He ate a nerf...

He ate a nerf darts. He's done this before and has usually throw up the pieces but he doesn't seem to have appeared to throw it all up. He hasn't drank or eatten today. Should we induce vomiting?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Sprite. Age 3 or 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sprite?

He lethargic and earlier when we picked him up (stretched him) his one side was moving. He has gone pee today but I don't think he has pooped

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Sprite. I think I have about 100 or so of those nerf darts in my basement - hopefully where the new puppy can't eat them! The good news with the nerf darts is that they aren't a toxicity issue. They could be a blockage / foreign body issue. If they are the right size, then they could cause a blockage. The big clinical sign for a blockage would be vomiting. Has he had any vomiting? When did he last eat and drink?

He vomitted a bit last night and through the day, in it was some small chunks of the darts. He last ate and drank yeaterday. He rhrew up a bit yesterday oe the day before but it was just clear
Messaging is fine
I'm not able to talk on the phone as I don't have the extra money right now.Ibwould like to know if we should induce vomiting
Hello??? Are you still there?

Ok. Sorry about the phone prompt as that was the system and not myself. The fact that he's vomiting and has brought up dart material, that has me worried there could be more in there. The darts my son has are about the size that if eaten would be worrisome for a blockage in an average sized cat. Their intestinal tract is about that size that that material may not pass through well. Inducing vomtiing at this time is not going to be needed / good for him. It isn't going to get up material that may be blocked. Also, there is no safe way to induce vomiting with a cat at home.

Should we just let it naturally pass through and his stomach acid can break it down?

It may be passing / attempting to pass, right now and that is why he's vomiting. That material may or may not pass. It could get stuck and just sit there. I would say that if he's not improving - vomiting stops and he's eating / drinking in the next 12 hours, he should be seen by your vet. Could something else be going on? Some cats can have pancreatitis that can look similar.

He has pooped out smaller chunks in the past (yes this isn't the first or second or third time he's eaten them) he seems to habe an addiction and as much as we hunt and try to track them down - he seems to find them
He was eating and drinking fine precious to this
Sorry that should say previous * to this

Some cats have a definite attraction for certain materials! I'm glad my cats haven't developed this attraction to the darts as again my basement has about 100 of them scattered around. The unknown is how big of a piece could still (may be) in him. Could there be something inside that is just a little bigger than the previous pieces that have passed and now it is blocking him?

After this I think I'm going to gather all the nerf darts etc and put them in the garage.He has open kids, etc, to get to them before
That is possible. Is there a way to induce pooping and lube it up so it slides through?

I can understand the frustration with the darts and him getting into them. I have a new puppy and just tonight, he destroyed 7 crayola markers on a good rug that were left out by my daughter. I try to keep my place "puppy" proof, but it fails at times. There isn't anything really to help material pass better. It either is going to pass or it isn't.

My daughter has gone to get him wet food to see if he'll eat some of that.He went to his water bowl today and just looks at it.Is there a way to keep him hydrated?

The only thing you can do for hydration is to keep water and moist food out to see if he'll eat / drink it. If he's continuing to vomit and / or not eating in the next 12 hours, then he should be seen by your vet to have them start to evaluate him and treat him. I also wouldn't want to see him staring to urinate (not getting urine out), getting really depressed, getting weak, or getting really uncomfortable.

Ok. He has been peeing yesterday and today.

That is good that he's being urinating. I always want to make sure that they are as being blocked in the urethra is a very serious issue.

Ok. Anything else I should be looking out for?

Those are the big things to be watching out for. Could be through the worst of this? That is the unknown. If he was to start to eat and drink and not have any of those other things happen, then the would be the hoped for situation. The tough thing is that nothing that is going on now makes him realize that the nerf darts are not to be eaten. Picking them up as best as possible is the ultimate vigil. I'm hoping for the best for him. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

How is Sprite doing today? I'm curious to hear back.

He passed away this afternoon. Thank you for checking back in to see how he was, that was thoughtful - thank you

Oh no! I'm very sorry to hear that. Did you get him to your vet? Did they know what went wrong?

No we didn't. There wasn't time. It happened early this afternoon. Last night seemed hopeful, he ate some, drank some and urinated a bit but early afternoon he plummeted fast. We picked our older teen up from school so she could be with him (they had a very special bond. It was "her cat" and she was "his human") and we were with him as well but within less than 2 hours he was gone. There really wasn't time for a vet or for a vet to do anything

I'm sorry again to hear how quickly he deteriorated. That has me frustrated. Did he have the vomiting continuing? I know this may be too late, but if you wanted to get an answer to what went so wrong, you could have your vet perform a necropsy to see what that reveals. I know it can't bring him back, but it may give some closure on this.

It was quick yes. No there was no more vomiting. We figure there was likely more than one in there (maybe 2 -4) which just completely blocked him up, especially if they criss crossed each other in the stomach.
Since we have other cats, including Root Beer, who also has a complete foam addiction (flip flops, foam art projects etc. But those he doesn't break off, he just knaws on them and we do our best to keep all foam out of his reach). Anyway, we went in the basement and hunted for all the darts we could find and I've now said to my son that the nerf (especially the darts) stay in the garage and that nerf battles are to be played outside. It was a truly tragic and senseless death and one that can be prevented going forward. Sadly Sprite had to die for it to happen but like I said before, we would clean them up but they would still find them and puke bits (the foam end of the dart) up, without actually eating the whole thing. By the way, they can easily be taken out of the magazine holder too. We figured those were safe because they were contained in the magazine but nope. They would just take their laws and flick them out (my boyfriend saw them do it). Thet would also open up closed containers, planning the lid to get them. This is why I said all go in the garage now. But I thought I'd pass it along in case you come across this again, like I said, we thought jist having them in the magazine was safe.
So.....if I were you (and to your other clients) is clean up the darts in the basement - we learned the hard way that it takes only one or two (or more) for a disaster.

Thank you for the heads up on the darts being "extracted" from the magazine as I would have thought they would be safe there. With cats, some can just get an obsession with certain things. I will absolutely keep this in mind with my own and client's pets. I wish I would have been more adamant on getting him seen with my first conversation. If he had gotten to the vet then, could surgery have been done and the outcome been way different.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian