Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She has an issue with her hair on her back. I can send a…

She has an issue...

She has an issue with her hair on her back. I can send a pic. We have tried several things people have suggested, but with no luck.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Cat?

Can I send a picture?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Cat seem to hurt?

Fur on her back

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Cat's name and age?

Catniss, guessing 6-7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Cat?

She is an overweight cat. Hair is matted on her back.

3/22/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** *****

Very good job on the picture! That is worth 10,000 words. :) How long has the fur had that matting back there? Does she have any other areas of mating or issues with her skin elsewhere?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She does not have any other issues. It has been some time. We have switched litter as we were told it could reaction.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We tried bathing her, to no avail.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Etc etc

Alright. That matting is very well established. Honestly, the quickest, easiest and best resolution for it would be to get her groomed (by a groomer or your vet's office). They can use a clipper to remove that matting as it is pretty much so set right now that it can't be detangled (it can only be removed). In that area, if she is a bigger cat, they just can't groom as well and the matting can happen there. This happened with my older cat that just started to not groom as well. You could try to brush those mats out with a brush called the Furminator (I know sounds cheesy, but it is a great brush for getting hair mats out!). I have 2 of these - one for the cats and one for the dogs. Trying to brush them out can be timely and she may not set still for it to be done. Once the mats are removed, then regular brushing should keep them from coming back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It would seem that tryout no to brush them out would be futile at this point. Would you agree? Best to let groomer cut them out?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
trying to brush

Brushing them out isn't impossible, but in my experience it is time consuming and the cat usually gets very aggravated and doesn't let it be done. I would let the groomer take the reins here and get it done quickly, efficiently and as comfortably as possible. It will save you stress and her stress!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, perfect. We will get right on that. Thank you.

Absolutely no problem! I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! ***** a good ear scratching for me since I can't!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do, Doc.

Thanks! Take care! :)

For future grooming, here is the link to the Furminator line of products. I really, really like them!

http://www.furminator.com/pet-deshedding-solutions-tools/cat-grooming-deshedding-tools.aspx

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect! I will order one.

It is a very good quality brush and you won't regret having it. Thanks for the great rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help

Absolutely no problem! Take care!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian