Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have a cat that we used to be able to pet him and now if…

Customer Question
We have a cat...

We have a cat that we used to be able to pet him and now if we pet him near his hind legs or on his spine near his tail he yowls and licks himself then licks or nips us. he actually bit my girlfriend

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Tommy and hes 10 i believe

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tommy?

I believe 10 or 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tommy?

He actually hasnt been eating the last couple of days and it seems also like if he is sitting on the couch and i go to sit next to him even if i gentle brush his tail butt area he lets out a rowllll and i barely touch him

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Tommy appears to be in pain in his hind area. He probably sustain an injury in that area somehow. I recommend getting him in to the vet for an x-ray of that area as well as some pain medication.

The kids and my BF used to scratch right at the base of his tale and it made his head sway like he was in heaven and they did this alot could this have caused an issue that may have spread down into both sides of his hips because it seems to be from where his hips are to the bottom of his tale down both of his sides down to his knees. ( if cats have knees LOL ) he can walk and jump fine just the touch is what sends him into this sound of a constant meow.. and he is meowing for attention more than normal

I don't think the petting is the cause of the problem. I think they would have had to be a lot rougher with him to cause that kind of damage/pain.

Ok so from what you have heard you think it could be something else. and get him into a vet

Yes, I think something else is going on. It is most likely an injury, either soft tissue such as a muscle sprain or even a fracture. Your vet will want to do an x-ray to sort it out.

Good luck with him. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.