Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a one-eyed cat. He was 7 weeks old when he was

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a one-eyed cat. He was 7 weeks old when he was trapped out of a feral colony so they could operate and remove the severely infected eye. This left him with only one functioning sinus, so he deals with congestion on a constant basis. This is typical (I’ve had multiple one-eyed cats over the years; I’m actually our local rescue’s go-to home for them). Normally he lets me do a little bit of a massage on his face to help break up the congestion but our neighbors recently acquired a chihuahua with no manners and the noise is freaking him out so I was wondering if there’s any OTC relief I could use until he calms down enough to go back to our routine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Jack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?

He’s got an artificial hip but I don’t think that would effect this issue.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

I've been in practice 36 years, the past 27 in my exclusive feline practice. I see an awful lot of cats with variations on this sort of thing.

The vast majority of cats with these chronic respiratory and eye problems (and especially those who started out feral) have chronic feline herpesvirus (FHV). As you may or may not know with all your experience, FHV is ubiquitous in the domestic cat population and is a leading cause of neonatal ophthalmia in kittens, which often leads to loss of severly affected eyes.

I put all these cats on a lysine long-term to help control the FHV, though it cannot be cured. I use Viralys powder (Vetoquinol) at one scoop twice a day in a bit of canned food. As a substitute you can buy 500 mg lysine capsules at places like Whole Foods and use the contents of one capsule twice a day, also mixed into canned food. The capsules are too big to get down without trouble so we just use the contents.

Of course if there are anatomical abnormalities, you're going to have increased risk of secondary bacterial infections, and those require prescription antibiotics to manage. But the underlying problem can be knocked down to help make Jack's life (and yours) easier.

Jack is already on lysine as a long term to control FHV. This is a common preventative measure for all of our cats as they are rescues trapped out of similar feral colonies in the area. The issue Jack experiences is not acute. It’s an ongoing issue that he deals with due to the way his surgery was performed. He’s been evaluated by vets routinely and they’ve all said it’s due to his anatomy. I’m simply trying to find something that can help purely with congestion.

Well I am very happy to hear that you are already using lysine! I've often said that ALL rescues need to use it on a massive scale.

Unfortunately I don't have additional OTC ideas. I assume you have already tried the hot shower in the bathroom "sauna" treatment?

I'll opt out and let someone else weigh in.

He sleeps in a room with a humidifier and we tried the hot shower sauna trick. Is there a non-OTC option? I’m willing to take him to the vet if a new med has come on the market in the last 5 months but I didn’t know if anything has.
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Rachel. I have found OTC Afrin drops to be useful with congestion in cats. You can give 1 drop in each nostril every 12 hours. Cerenia is a prescription anti-nausea medication that also has the side effect of being a great nasal decongestant. You could ask your vet about that, as well. Definitely try the Afrin drops.

Thank you!

You're welcome! If my response was helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.