Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat started yowling and smacking at the left side of her…

Customer Question
My cat started yowling...

My cat started yowling and smacking at the left side of her face when she would try to eat, I took her to the vet several times, when she was given prednisone is the only thing that seemed to work..Vet finally removed teeth thinking this was the problem...It wasn't, antibiotics did nothing, we're pack to prednisone but what is causing this..please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

My cat started yowling and smacking at the left side of her face when she would try to eat, trips to the vet, antibiotics several times, prednisone was the only thing that helped, finally teeth were removed but this did not help, we are back to prednisone..I need to tell you a stray cat came around and had the same symptoms about 6 months ago, this has been going on with my cat for over a month now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Her name is ***** ***** and she is 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

She is an indoor/outdoor cat but other then being spoiled rotton, I can't think of anything. Her behavior since the tooth extraction has been completely different, she is scared

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 3 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to make a suggestion as to what may be causing the Yowling and pawing at the face.

My thought is this may be related to the Trimeningeal Nerve which is the same Nerve responsible for TMJ. Thie Nerve could be inflammed and that is why it responds to the Prednisone and when the medication is stoped it becomes inflamed again. THe sympoms are usually mouth does not close, and refusal to eat / If your cat is not showing these signs it may be atypical.

I would like to suggest seeing a Veterinary Dentist whocan Xray and test to determine if this is the problem.

As I said this is only a suspiiscion, but worth looking into to help your cat.

Please hit reply to discuss this information..

Joan