Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat was using litter box and twice let out sharp scream. No…

Cat was using litter...

Cat was using litter box and twice let out sharp scream. No waste from visit to box. He has been quite active otherwise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Rocky. 3 1/2 yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?

Not at the moment.

3/22/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Has he had any trouble with vomiting or poor appetite in recent days?

Have you noticed hard stool or constipation recently?

No vomiting or poor appetite. I have another cat that uses same box. I don't know which stool is which. This is 1st time he's shown any discomfort like this.

Thank you.

It's probably one of two things:

1) Impacted anal sacs, leading to constipation, hard stool, and painful defecation. Easy to diagnose in the exam room and usually easy to treat in the exam room. Failure to treat can lead to abscessation.

2) Bladder/urethral problems - usually it takes an obstruction to cause this much pain but it still needs to be evaluated. In the exam room your local vet can palpate his bladder to see if it's too full/too firm. Can be complicated and costly to manage but delay only makes it worse.

So I would get him in to your vet for a look at these issues in the next couple of days, sooner if he starts to act like he doesn't feel well.

Some cats will get constipated just from the food they eat. I have one of these. I keep his stool soft and him comfy by putting 1/4 tsp psyllium husk powder in a little canned food for him once a day.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
OK. Thanks. I'll schedule an appt.

YVW, good luck and I hope it's simple, with an easy fix.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc