Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

This is about Hanni. Somehow I got disconnected. Cat. Can't…

Customer Question
This is about Hanni...

This is about Hanni. Somehow I got disconnected

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Cat?

Can't use his back legs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Cat seem to hurt?

Back legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Cat's name and age?

HANNI - 19YRS

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about HANNI?

Diagnosed a year ago with kidney failure. Giving him Aminavast daily since then .He did improve

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear about Hanni's weakness in his rear legs, and previous history of kidney failure.

The most common cause of his symptoms would be a blood clot thrown from his heart blocking the blood flow to his rear legs (saddle thrombus).

Are his back feet colder to the touch compared to his front feet? Do his back feet pads look purple or blue in color compared to his front feet pads?

These cats usually have heart disease that alters normal blood movement through the heart which allows clots to form in the heart. If he has a heart murmur, abnormal heart rhythm or a very fast heart rate I would be suspicious of heart disease and a blood clot causing his symptoms. In most cases with these patients on blood work we will see high levels of CPK (creatinine phosphokinase) due to muscle tissue breakdown when the blood clot cuts off blood flow to muscles in the rear legs. Unfortunately prognosis for these kitties is very guarded due to severe underlying heart disease. Treatment is anti-clotting medication like heparin or low dose aspirin as well as pain medication such as Buprenorphine and treatment of the primary heart disease that predisposed her to developing a clot. Prognosis is very poor because of the damage done by the clot as well as the underlying heart disease. Recovery may take weeks, if it happens at all.

Cats with kidney disease can suffer from secondary hypertension and that combination can cause blood clots to form and also lead to a saddle thrombus.

Weakness in the rear legs can be due to electrolyte abnormalities or low or high blood sugar, so blood testing should be done.

Trauma is another possible cause. Does he go outside unsupervised?

Some sort of myositis or neuritis, an autoimmune type reaction that can sometimes be associated with a vaccine, such as Rabies is possible. Was he given a vaccine recently? In those cases steroids would be helpful to quiet the over-active immune response as well as decreasing painful inflammation.

Another possibility is diskospondylitis, a bacterial or fungal infection of the intervertebral disks and surrounding vertebrae. It is usually caused by an infection somewhere else that has been spread to the vertebrae by the blood supply. It is a painful condition. Treatment is usually antibiotics or antifungals for at least 8 to 12 weeks, sometimes as long as a year. Some of these cats require surgery to remove as much of the infection as possible and possibly stabilize the spine. Frequent re-evaluations by his veterinarian are necessary. Prognosis depends upon the amount of damage done and the organism causing the infection.
Intervertebral Disc Disease happens when the spongy disc or disc material between the vertebrae slips up and compresses the spinal cord causing pain and weakness or paralysis. It can be treated with anti-inflammatories and rest or surgery depending upon how much function is lost and how much pain the patient is in. Prognosis is much better if the patient's sense of deep pain remains intact and if surgery is done quickly in the cases that require it. It does not usually cause a fever.
Fibrocartilaginous Emboli is a piece of a degenerated intervertebral disc that has broken off and lodged in a small artery or vein near the spinal cord blocking the blood supply to his spinal cord and degeneration of the cord. It is often one sided, only painful the first few minutes to hours, and doesn't cause a fever. Signs don't progress after 24 hours unless another emboli is thrown. Prognosis depends upon how much damage is done initially. Recovery is slow and gradual, the most improvement happens between day 21 and 42, and may not happen at all if his sense of pain perception is lost.

Finally at his age we do need to worry about spinal cord tumors, which because they are soft tissue they would not show up on a radiograph. We may only be able to diagnose these with an MRI.

At this point I highly recommend that he see a veterinarian.

If he doesn't have any signs of heart disease, his paws are warm, his blood tests are normal, and you are not willing or able to put him through any further diagnostic testing, and understand that the improvement may be temporary, then a course of steroids may make him feel better and give him a better quality of life for a period of time.

You still need to rest him and confine him but steroids may help him either recover or at least feel better for a period of time.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****