Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been sneezing pretty frequently for about 2

Hi there My cat...

Hi there My cat has been sneezing pretty frequently for about 2 months now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Zatoichi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zatoichi?

He's blind, about 8 or 9 years old

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Is he eating enthusiastically and maintaining a normal, healthy weight?

Have you noticed any squinting or runny eyes? Any coughing?

Do you use any scented candles, incense, spray or powder or diffuser scent products in the home?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I use insense infrequently and he's never had trouble in the 7 years I've had him. No squinting or runny eye. The mucus he sneezes tends to be clear. He eats fine. I'm thinking maybe he's allergic to my cock just got it around when he started sneezing and it has allot of dog hair from the last owner

Unlike humans with allergies, cats don't tend to sneeze from respiratory allergens - that usually causes coughing and wheezing due to allergic bronchitis.

The most common cause of sneezing in cats is feline herpesvirus (FHV), the most common cause of upper respiratory infections in cats. This is something I see at least a couple of times a week in my cat practice, and it will always be with us.

Cats get exposed to FHV as tiny kittens because their mommas always have it, having gotten it from their mommas - FHV is ubiquitous in the domestic cat population. It's even more common than the cold sore virus (also a herpesvirus) is in humans.

FHV is also the most common cause of nontraumatic eye disease in cats. In small kittens it causes severe eye disease and is a leading cause of blindness. I am curious as to whether Zatoichi is maybe one of these cats? Has he been blind since kittenhood?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vets found him wounds and an infection that spread to his eyes from fighting in the wild

Okay.

Well at any rate, it's pretty safe to assume that he has FHV rhinitis, which can be managed in most cases (but not cured) with use of a lysine amino acid supplement, which interferes with FHV replication. So it helps to keep it from becoming chronic and severe complications from developing.

I use Viralys powder (Vetoquinol) at 2 scoops daily for at least once a month, then once a day if things have improved. You mix it into a little bit of canned food. Since it is not a pharmaceutical, there are no side effects.

Many vets give these cats antibiotics, but since it's caused by a virus and not bacteria, antibiotics don't help.

If things don't improve or if they get worse in spite of treatment, then you need to consider other, more rare conditions like Cryptococcus, a systemic fungal infection that is diagnosed by blood test.

I hope this has been helpful. Do you have any additional questions or concerns about this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you so much

YVW, happy to help.

If you are through, please rate my response so I can be credited with helping you. Afterward you can still return with additional questions for a few days. Just bookmark this chat window for easy return.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian