Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We had to put our male cat down leaving our female cat

Customer Question
We had to put...

We had to put our male cat down leaving our female cat alone. After two weeks, she started being depressed. She drinks a lot of water but is not eating a whole lot. She also is not playing. She is peeing but is very private with the poops so am watching her like a hawk. I am concerned because her normal behavior is non existent. At the same time, she refused her wet food. I gave her a different kind that gave her flatulance for one hour straight. Is my cat grieving or sick? If she is grieving, how long will this last? Am giving

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

Am offering her food at different times trying to help and nothing is working. I really need help. It’s 2 am and can’t sleep worrying about her. She sleeps more than usual, meowing less, drinking lots of water, and not eating much. I am so scared and am at my wits end. Can you help me please?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 5 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr W here. I'm sorry to hear this :( It sounds like she could be grieving, and I can understand why you are also concerned and stressed as well. This can take a few months sometimes. Some things to help her relax can help such as Feliway diffusers. You can also talk to your vet about some medication to help her anxiety and especially to help her sleep at night. A third option would be to get her another playmate. Is it possible for her to have a new friend as well?