Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My female cat who is approx 6 yrs old started leaking a

Customer Question
My female cat who...

My female cat who is approx 6 yrs old started leaking a white creamy discharge out her butt. Ttis stsrtef about 3 pm this afrernoon. The cat vomited earlier before the discharge (arpumd 12 noon)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know. There is another older female inside the house now. The two of them play but sometimes they fight..

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Frankie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frankie?

She is behind on her shots. The cat is part human. Frankies mom passed away shortly after the mom cat gave birth. My roommate fed Frank by baby bottlr

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Is Frankie spayed?

Are you seeing this from her vulva or her anus?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for getting back to me. The discharge was coming out of her butt. She keeps licking herself in that area. No she has not been spayed. It is possible that she ate something weird. Also, I hate admit this but we are having a invasion of some roaches. I have been spraying and setting traps, so on. It could be that she ate some of the dead or dying roaches. The infestation is NOT that bad...the roaches just creep me out no matter how many or few. Frankie started moving around a little. I gave her a few of her cat treats that she loves and she ate those. She is just sitting with me very calm.

Since you've witnessed some odd discharge and also vomiting, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this. I am concerned about the fact that she is 6 and unspayed. The longer she goes without being spayed the higher the risk will be of an infected uterus (pyometra). The creamy discharge you witnessed may be anal gland material but I don't think a pyometra could be ruled out in this situation, either. An examination, bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated, especially if she worsens. Above all, once this is over, give strong consideration to having her spayed. It will save you time, money and keep you both from having to experience this potentially life-threatening condition.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 30 days ago

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 27 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse