Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has black and hard stool and has vomited twice today.

Customer Question
Hi my cat has...

Hi my cat has black and hard stool and has vomited twice today

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Nope. she's new to our home and she's not eating much in the last 3 days she's here

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Tansy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tansy?

According to the shelter she has sensitive stomach and is on a new diet

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
We have an appointment in 7 days with a vet for a routine checkup but I want to know if she needs an emergency care in the next few days. We'll move up the appointment if necessary.
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Black stools can be very concerning because digested blood is black. Whenever we see black stool we consider the possibility of an intestinal bleed. However, intestinal bleeding usually leads to soft stools. If your dog is eating a very high protein diet it could cause a somewhat dark colored stool and sometimes just the diet change alone will cause a darker color stool.

How long has she been on the new diet. She may just be adjusting to it. I would consider doing a few things. First, make sure she is drinking enough.... the hard stool suggest that she may not be. You can try some water from a tuna can or chicken broth. You could also try adding some fiber to her diet. Most cats like canned pumpkin. If she will eat about 1/2 TBSP with each meal that should help also.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If all your concerns have been addressed please rate my answer.

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian