Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I wrapped his leg too tight and is paw is swollen it has…

I wrapped his leg...

I wrapped his leg too tight and is paw is swollen it has been a few hours, and he seems fine, but it freaked me out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cat 14 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name and age?

Bugs 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Bugs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bugs?

Has an abcess on the leg o wrapped, it opened up and is draining also hypythroid and been givinh him iv fluids cuz he hasn't been eating or drinking much last 1.5 weeks he ate all his diner tonight thouh

3/22/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Why were you wrapping the leg?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he had an abscess and I was trying to keep him from licking it.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I am ok typing

Friend, the swelling of the paw is secondary to cutting off the circulation to the paw. It may take several days for the swelling to go down, but, it will go down. What you can do is apply a warm compress for a few minutes followed by cold compress for another few minutes; this will promote the movement of the fluid in the paw and help decrease the swelling; do this 2-3 times a day.

As far as the abscess, it is best that you leave it open and not cover it. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the abscess 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks! I have an appointment with the vet to check up on some other issues he is being treated for. Is Veterycin ok to use?

When you flush the abscess you can apply Vetericyn.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian