Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I'm not sure. It kind of looks like part of her chin is

I'm not sure. It...

I'm not sure. It kind of looks like part of her chin is missing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

It isn't acting like its hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

It's name is ***** ***** and it is 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Its name is ***** ***** Are you a real person or a bot?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the vet more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She's very scared. Hides pretty much all day, only comes out at night. Not very active. Was hit by a car when she was a kitten

3/22/2018
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years. Can you tell me a bit more.... I understand that part of her chin looks like it is missing, but is there any open wounds, ulceration, or discharge? Did this happen all the sudden or has it been this way for a while?

It was all of a sudden, but really hard to say. Our cat is 13, she was a rescue that we adopted 13 years ago. The entire time, she's been a very scared cat, usually hides behind the couch most of the day and comes out at night. Only when we are sitting on the couch will she come sit next to us.
What I'm saying is it's hard to get a real good look at her. I don't see any discharge, and we looked all over for blood or any kind of liquid, couldn't find anything
She did just eat food, though.

Interesting.... there is a cancer that is pretty common in cats that is very destructive. It literally eats away at bone and tissue and commonly occur in the mouth. It is usually surprisingly not painful and the cats continue to eat with this cancer. However, they usually have a bad smell to their mouth due to the tissue destruction.

She would really need a good exam and probably a biopsy to know if this is what she has going on, but if you smell a sour, bad smell on her breath I would be very suspicious of cancer in this case and in a cat this age.

I hope that helps, but if you have other questions please let me know.

Dang. Given that she is scared easily, getting to a vet is extremely challenging. Any recommendations on how to get her in a carrier? Wrapping a towel is tough, and I don't want to give her a traumatic just getting to the vet. Is there anything that can be done to sedate her?

Pretty much all sedative have to be given by injection or pill.... and the good ones are all injectable. So you will probably have to figure out how to get her in a carrier and to the vet. Once there they can give her something. If you have a carrier and you put some tuna or canned food in it and a blanket over it so it looks like an inviting cave... sometimes they will go in it if you put it in a quiet area that they like to hide in.

If not.... then I try a pillow case. roll the edges down, try to get her in the center and them pull the sides up. They will throw a fit in the pillow case, but eventually calm down and then you can drop the whole pillow case in the carrier...... they will usually find their way out of the pillow case once they are locked in the carrier.

Best wishes!

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian