Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 5 pound cat might have eaten 75mg of venlafexine extended…

Customer Question
My 5 pound cat...

My 5 pound cat might have eaten 75mg of venlafexine extended release

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Eyre. She is about 5-6 years old.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/22/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She is fighting me too much to get her to a veterinarian clinic. She just hides under the bed and won't let you put her in the carrier.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am just wondering how I should approach her care and what the overall outlook is.

I am sorry to hear that your 5 pound kitty ate 75mgs of Effexor

This is an antidepressant in the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor class

If she just ate this it's worth trying to get her to vomit them back up, so you need to get her to an emergency clinic now.

We see toxicity signs at 2mg to 3mg per kilogram of body weight.

She is 5 pounds or 2.72kgs (5lbs/2.2lbs/kg = 2.72kgs) She ate 27.5mgs per kilogram, (75mgs/2.72kgs = 27.5mgs/kg) well above a toxic dose.

I would expect side effects of extreme agitation, and at a dose of 35mg per kilogram, which she is close to, we can see seizures.

You should see signs of toxicity some time within 30 minutes to 6 hours after ingestion.

At the emergency clinic they can also give her activated charcoal to minimize any leftover pill ingestion and fluids to flush the toxin out of her body as well as drugs to treat hyperexcitability, tremors or seizures should they occur.

I understand that it will be hard to get her caught and into a clinic, but this is NOT something you can treat at home.

Use a thick towel or blanket to scoop her out of her hiding spot.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am not sure that she even ate it. I mijght have put it away. It was 7 hours ago. Would the effects be major? Like I would know she ate it? Right now it just seems like she is acting weird. No seizures, no vomiting.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I feel like I would be seeing dramatic side effects by now.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The biggest issue is that I can't tell if it's the mood that I am putting her in with my worrying or if she did ingest the medication. I would say that I am 50/50 on it.
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

I have to agree with Dr. Kara. It can take several hours for the extended release product gets a cat into trouble, and she has possibly ingested far more than it takes to cause trouble.

Activated charcoal treatment and possibly cyproheptadine (prescribed by your veterinarian). Prognosis is good WITH close monitoring by a professional and treatment of symptoms.

She could become quite agitated from this drug and have heart failure. It's nothing to play around with.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
What exact behaviors should I be looking for? If I am not sure she even took it, how will I know to bring her in to clinic?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Right now, she is just sitting on the floor looking around. It's hard to tell if she is "agitated".
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear that Eyre may have ingested some medication that is not safe for her. The signs you might see if she has ingested a toxic dose are dilated pupils, drooling, lethargy, disorientation and vomiting. At higher doses you may also see muscle tremors or seizures. Typically signs will occur within 8-10 hours. As the other veterinarians have stated, the earlier you start treatment for potential ingestion, the better.

Dr Mick
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian