Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My indoor mate cat has a puffy bump on one of his ears. He…

Hi! My indoor mate...

Hi! My indoor mate cat has a puffy bump on one of his ears. He has not been scratching at it, nor shaking his head at all. The bump is not hot, or red and doesn’t appear to be causing him any discomfort. I noticed it because the outer edge of his ear appears to be folding slightly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is***** he’s 7.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr?

Nope. He’s otherwise very healthy.

3/21/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mr. Kitty. This might be a hematoma, a swelling of bloody fluid on the ear. These can form as an allergic reaction, or to an ear infection, but often we do not know the cause.

If you leave it alone, the fluid will be resorbed, but leave him with a crumpled ear.

You can have surgical drainage of the ear done, with placement of sutures to keep the ear flat while it heals.

Sometimes just having your veterinarian drain the fluid out daily, and start him on steroids such as prednisolone will get it to go away.

Does it feel "squishy", like there is fluid inside the puffy bump?

it’s very squishy. Not hard, very fluid filled.

Then it probably is a hematoma. You can let it resolve on its own (but he will have a crumpled ear) or have him treated by a veterinarian.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have other questions.

Thank you so much for your help.Would prednisolone alone be beneficial without it being drained? We have some from one of our other cats on hand.

It might, but usually you have to drain it daily and/or suture it flat.

You can try giving 5 mg prednisolone twice daily for a few days, then daily. I have not had much success treating with prednisolone alone, however.

Thank you for your help.

You are welcome; please let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.

Hi, just a quick follow up question, are there any signs I should watch for as far as whether or not he would need to be seen by a veterinarian in person?

If it feels warm, or is painful, he should see a veterinarian.

Thank you again.

You are welcome.

Would an increase in size be a concern? How long should I expect it to take to resolve?

It can take weeks, if you do not have him treated or start him on medication.

What about the size increasing?

It sounds like the bleeding is still going on.

Starting him on a steroid, may stop the process.

Thank you so much!!

You are welcome!