Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Her ears look like they are raw and getting shorter both…

Her ears look like...

Her ears look like they are raw and getting shorter both ears almost like something is eating them

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

She is afraid all the time won’t go into the garage any more

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Her ears probably

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name and age?

She is about 13 years old her name is*****: How old is Pita?

13 Year’s old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pita?

She is an outside cat and she has been fixed

3/21/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Is it possible for you to photograph Pita's ears front and back and attach here for me to have a look at?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have it on my phone

You should be able to attach it to this chat window. I don't know the particulars (I'm the vet, not the tech geek).

Sorry, had a minor emergency

I'm back now

When we see this condition in older white cats with an outdoor lifestyle, it is usually either a precancerous condition or actual skin cancer. There is also a small chance that it is a condition called head mange which is caused by a mite.

You will need to take her to your local vet in order to find out which it is. They can do a skin scraping to check for mites.

If it is mites, that is easily treated. If it isn't mites, then a skin biopsy or even amputation of the damaged parts of the ears is necessary.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification.

When you are finished here, please be sure to rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. I feel better now that I know what it is, because we have had many cats and I have never seen ears like hers.
I thought maybe another animal had attacked her and had ripped her ears. We do have possums and a raccoon and other stray cats that come at night looking for food so we put her food away at night.
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian